Congolese president wins third term after 32 years in office, opposition cries foul


Congo president Denis Sassou Nguesso was on Thursday declared the winner of presidential elections, extending his 32 years in power in a vote the opposition says was marked by “massive fraud”.

Interior Minister Raymond Zephyrin Mboulou announced the results at 3:30am (0230 GMT) on television, saying Sassou Nguesso had secured 60 percent of the vote in the tense weekend poll held under an ongoing communications blackout. Sassou Nguesso has ruled Congo for all but five years since 1979, having lived in Paris in exile from 1992 to 1997.

The official count gave runner-up Guy-Brice Parfait Kolelas 15 percent of the vote, while General Jean-Marie Michel Mokoko came in with 14 percent.

Sassou Nguesso hailed the victory at his campaign headquarters, saying the Congolese people had “taken their destiny into their own hands” and adding that the campaign had a “very open” democratic debate in the former French colony.

Both of his main rivals had already rejected the partial results released Wednesday, with Kolelas’ spokesman Vivien Manangou saying there had been “massive fraud”.
Mokoko, who until February was Sassou Nguesso’s security advisor, added: “I knew beforehand that the dice were loaded, but we had agreed to play the game.”

He called for a recount, saying: “How do you want us to accept such a result?”

With telephones and the Internet cut off, neither candidate was immediately reachable after the official results were announced.

Oil- and timber-rich Congo has been on edge since an October constitutional referendum that ended a two-term limit on presidential mandates, allowing Sassou Nguesso, a 72-year-old former paratrooper colonel, to run for again.

Critics accuse him of rampant corruption and nepotism, blasting the referendum result as a “constitutional coup”.
Authorities imposed a communications blackout during the election to prevent opposition candidates from publishing “illegal results”. A government source said they blackout would remain in place until after the official results.

SEE ALSO:  Hulk Hogan wins sex tape lawsuit against Gawker, gets awarded $115million in damages

Most shops in the south of the capital Brazzaville, an opposition stronghold, had stayed shut on Wednesday amid fears of unrest.
Kolelas’ spokesman Manangou said security forces had stormed the candidate’s campaign offices on , hurling tear gas cannisters and causing a stampede that left one person dead.
A French journalist was present but was unable to confirm the death.
Mokoko and Kolelas, along with the other opposition candidates, have urged people to “exercise their sovereignty” in the event of a Sassou Nguesso victory.
They created their own parallel “technical commission” to monitor the vote and compile information from polling stations to compare it to the official results.
They said they could say “with certainty” that the opposition had beat Sassou Nguesso in the first round and that a second-round election should be held.
The European Union refused to send election observers to monitor the polls, saying conditions had not been met for a transparent and democratic vote.
The community has since expressed concern over the fairness of the vote and called for the opposing sides to resolve their differences calmly.

“This vote took place in a worrying context, particularly due to the cut in communications,” said France’s foreign ministry spokesman Romain Nadal.

Source: AFP

SEE ALSO:  Wizkid’s Girlfriend Pregnant With Third Baby (See photos)



For Your Quality Music Production, Call DJ BenKraFt: +2348160586366

Sharing is caring!

About Author

Upload/Promote/Hype your music,videos,events on and reach more than 1 million Downloaders! For more info>Tel: 09057702424

Leave a Reply